• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support ??

• Thread starter confused by the law
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

confused by the law

My husband wants a divorce after 4 years of marriage. We have been together 8.5 years and he is the only father my daughter has had sice 8months old. He has not adopted her. We live in MA. He feels he doesn't have to pay child support .I feel he does because the natural father has never been in her life and is not on her birth certificate. I planned on being married forever and he is stressed and want to run away from all responsibility. What are my chances of getting support. I am unemployed due to both my husbands and childs mental health needs. Th natural father lives out of the country.

U

usdeeper

Unfortunately, since he is not the father of the child, he will not be liable for child support. Leagally, it not his fault that for whatever reason, you failed to pursue a court ordered child support with the real father.

Look at it this way.. if after the divorce he wanted visitation with the child and you refused, he would have no legal grounds to get visitation. He is not able to have any decision whatsoever in her upbringing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">