• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cooki

I was divorced through the State of Washington 10 years ago. I was awarded child support according to their laws. My oldest is now 18, his brother is 16 and my ex wants to stop paying for the oldest (who is still in high school). I live in Arizona, my ex lives in Florida. My question is this--If I want to contact a lawyer regarding my rights and how much child support I'm entitled to, from which state do I hire a lawyer?

LegalBeagle

AZ and he can not stop payments until the child is 18 AND left high school (to a point but certainly not before 19).. I do not know about the college requirements but if no one else jumps in, I will answer tomorrow when I am back at the office..

------------------
Psst.. I am not an attorney, and even if I was, I would not tell you. Which technically could mean I am an attorney, but I would not tell you either way. What I am giving you is not legal advice in anyway. For proper legal advice, retain a person who openly admits they are an attorney.

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cooki:
I was divorced through the State of Washington 10 years ago. I was awarded child support according to their laws. My oldest is now 18, his brother is 16 and my ex wants to stop paying for the oldest (who is still in high school). I live in Arizona, my ex lives in Florida. My question is this--If I want to contact a lawyer regarding my rights and how much child support I'm entitled to, from which state do I hire a lawyer?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

C. If a child reaches the age of majority while the child is attending high school or a certified high school equivalency program, support shall continue to be provided during the period in which the child is actually attending high school or the equivalency program but only until the child reaches nineteen years of age unless the court enters an order pursuant to subsection B of this section. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a parent paying support for a child over the age of majority pursuant to this section shall be entitled to obtain all records related to the attendance of the child in the high school or equivalency program.

Basically, he has to continue to pay until the child leaves high school or he turns 19. Which ever is FIRST. So in your case he can not stop CS payments as the child is only 18 and currently in High School.

As regards to college.. I do not believe AZ has provisions for payment of college costs. However, if you have anything in your original WA agreement then AZ will honor and enforce it. Anything action needs to be in AZ and not WA or FL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">