• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support 2 households?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

very tired

I am understand that child support is made to support the childs needs. They say it is for rent and food.
So I am wondering, "usually" when the non-custodial parent pays support, it goes toward maintenance for the child. So if I understand this correctly, the non-custodial parent has to support 2 households. His when its time for visitation and Hers when its not. I don't understand this concept. Both maintain their own homes, clothe, feed and care, so why must the non-custodial parent pay twice?

Thanks

MySonsMom

Custodial parents have to supply more things than the non custodial parent. IE: Non custodial parent could get aways with a smaller home, since the child doesn't "live" there while the custodial parent has to accomodate the child in the home...bigger home...larger house payment. Non custodial parents food bill is smaller since child doesn't eat there as much as they do at home. Utilities are different...on and on and on. So..little things add up when you have a child living with you. That is where child support factors in. Non custodial parents need to help support that childs living conditions.

U

usdeeper

Before my son was born.. my step daughter cost us an extra $300 dollars a month in rent alone.. the different between a 1 bedroom 2nd floor apt with no play area near my work as opposed to a nice two bedroom ground floor apartment with the patio backing onto a golf course.. With the $400 a month daycare, the cost totalled 700 BEFORE anything else is added..

and yes she sometimes plays with her barbies on the 5th green !! :)

MySonsMom

Exactly usdeeper. I think of just supporting one child instead of two, BIG difference in EVERYTHING. 2 bedroom house instead of 3. Less food, less daycare...Less everything. It really does add up...ALOT. Boy would my kids LOVE to live by a golf course..I'm sure they would play something on the greens. (not barbies, they are boys) But then again, who knows! :)

U

usdeeper

and of course, now that we have a son too.. it means a 3 bedroom house in a few years. So even though we have our own child, my step daughter will continue to cost us a great deal more than any child support we get... if the difference between a 2 bed and 3 bed house is 25k .. (made up number) then ALL the child support over the next 4 years STILL will not cover this expense..

Please note, I am making a financial point without the emotions so dont think I am complaining about the cost ! :) She is worth every penny :) http://www.erinmarie.com

[This message has been edited by usdeeper (edited July 13, 2000).]

V

very tired

We have the child 50% of the time. We feed her, bathe, her, and clothe here seperately from the mother. We spilt the daycare with her, everything. Why must we pay extra when we have her just as much as the mother. We don't have the traditional visitation of only on weekends.

U

usdeeper

You need to check on this.. some states allow a reduction if you have the child more than x number of nights a year... Also, some joint custody agreements will specify that a lower amount of support is paid during time with the NCP.. this normally applies when the NCP has the child for the summer etc...

So you need to check the court order etc.. What state you are in is also important..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">