• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cat2young

I still had more questions. Is being $18,000 behind in child support a felony? Should I object to the general master hearing my next motion for contempt? This will be the 5th and CSE will be there to (I think). Can the GM order jail time? Last time the Judge gave him 60 days (suspended by payments), this got me about 9 or 10 months of somewhat regular payments.

------------------

L

LadyBlu

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cat2young:
I still had more questions. Is being $18,000 behind in child support a felony? Should I object to the general master hearing my next motion for contempt? This will be the 5th and CSE will be there to (I think). Can the GM order jail time? Last time the Judge gave him 60 days (suspended by payments), this got me about 9 or 10 months of somewhat regular payments.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
What state are you in again? I know in TX it is considered a Felony offense, but usually they get probation, or probated sentence. If he has already been given that then he will most likely get jail time this time around.
Also, to pursue the criminal charges you would need to have the DA file on him.

C

cat2young

sorry I'm in FL. What can the the general master do in a case like this? Would I be better off objecting and have the case put back in front of the judge?

------------------

L

LadyBlu

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cat2young:
sorry I'm in FL. What can the the general master do in a case like this? Would I be better off objecting and have the case put back in front of the judge?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I am not familiar with the term GM, is he/she a representative of the Child Support Enforcement office in your state?

Here in TX, the Attorney General chidl support enforcement office handles hard to collect cases, they have the power to suspend licenses and also to flag IRS refunds.

The judge then signs off on contempt orders that the AG office presents to the judge.

To have criminal charges I had to pursue that through the District Attorney in my county.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">