• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cat2young

My ex-husband is about $18,000 behind in his support payments ( he has not made a payment since may ). I have taken him to court on my own 4 times on contempt, 3 times in front of a general master 1 time in front of judge. He was found in contempt in every apperance, "to have a hostile attitude toward the idea that he was obligated to pay support" and "evading the deduction order by changing jobs, ect. The dept of revenue CSE is now getting involved. So far they have done nothing but the pro se office at the court said I can not set any more contempt hearings that CSE has to do that now. They keep saying I should get a court date any day ( they have been saying this for about 3 months ) What can I do. I'm in FL. Also the case is going back to the general master, should I object? I liked how the judge handled the hearing far more the the GM. Is being that far behind a felony?

------------------

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cat2young:
My ex-husband is about $18,000 behind in his support payments ( he has not made a payment since may ). I have taken him to court on my own 4 times on contempt, 3 times in front of a general master 1 time in front of judge. He was found in contempt in every apperance, "to have a hostile attitude toward the idea that he was obligated to pay support" and "evading the deduction order by changing jobs, ect. The dept of revenue CSE is now getting involved. So far they have done nothing but the pro se office at the court said I can not set any more contempt hearings that CSE has to do that now. They keep saying I should get a court date any day ( they have been saying this for about 3 months ) What can I do. I'm in FL. Also the case is going back to the general master, should I object? I liked how the judge handled the hearing far more the the GM. Is being that far behind a felony?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How involved the CSE ? You or the courts ?

C

cat2young

the children recieve medicaid for thier health insurance so the dept of children and familys said I had to comply with CSE to continue the health care. So I guess me but I could do this faster than CSE, also there are other issues in front of the court I have filed to ammend custody and visitation and he has filed a counter petion for custody and to reduce his child support.

------------------

C

California Sun

If you're on welfare, he's got a good chance at getting custody. Courts would rather see the parents working and not living off the system.

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by California Sun:
If you're on welfare, he's got a good chance at getting custody. Courts would rather see the parents working and not living off the system.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are totally wrong with your statement.

[This message has been edited by LegalBeagle (edited November 02, 2000).]

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cat2young:
the children recieve medicaid for thier health insurance so the dept of children and familys said I had to comply with CSE to continue the health care. So I guess me but I could do this faster than CSE, also there are other issues in front of the court I have filed to ammend custody and visitation and he has filed a counter petion for custody and to reduce his child support.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He has no chance at custody.. FL would not award his custody with so many contempts against him and being so far behind. Also, with you claiming aid, the state will go after him to repay that amount before he has not paid CS.

Unfortunately, once CSE takes the case, it is very difficult to get control of it back. The best thing you can do is continue with your other actions and mention it to the judge when in court. He has the power to sort it out or slap your ex around a bit.

C

cat2young

I'm not on "welfare" I have a job and pay my own bills but my job does not offer health insurance and MY children get medicaid because thier father does not pay his support. I also found out that he had applied for welfare for him self and the children about a year ago but was denied because they do not live with him.

[This message has been edited by cat2young (edited November 02, 2000).]

L

LadyBlu

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LegalBeagle:
You are totally wrong with your statement.

[This message has been edited by LegalBeagle (edited November 02, 2000).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There seems to have been alot of posts lately that refer to *If you are receiving any type of state assistance you could lose your children* in fact some have went as far as saying that people will lose their children because of it. I find that very disturbing advice to tell someone that because they get state assistance they would/could lose custody of their kids. That isnt a fact. If you look, most of the people that get state assistance have had to because the NCP isnt paying their support. So how is it that they cannot pay their support, but would be more qualified to have custody of those same children.

I am not wanting to start any arguments here, and I realize that in itself has played a role in some people losing custody but that is not the *General Rule*.

N

navywife_tx

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by California Sun:
If you're on welfare, he's got a good chance at getting custody. Courts would rather see the parents working and not living off the system.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is someone else on here that keeps telling people that if they are on welfare they will lose custody of their children. Where did you learn this from? I must've missed this one somewhere along the lines b/c i think it's totally inappropriate for you or anyone to give false information like this. There are some women and men out there that have to turn to welfare b/c their ex spouse's aren't paying there court ordered child support. Noone is proud to say they are on welfare but when i had my daughter, i had to turn to it b/c i lived with my mother, had no job and my daughter's biological dad didn't want to help. I stayed on only long enough to get a job to where i could support her on my own and it wasn't very long at that. I'm not embarrased b/c sometimes you either have to ask the state for help or you go sell your body on the street corner to get that extra cash to put food on the table. So, give me a break with telling people that they'll lose custody of their kids b/c they are on welfare would ya?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">