• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

My mom cannot find out where my dad works.He wont tell her...he wont pay childsupport ...he may give her a couple hundred every once in a while but he used to pay $1600 a month then he stopped. The DA's office is trying to find out where he works...my moms bills and credit line is all screwed up because of it ...How can we legally force my dad to pay if we dont know where he works.

S

sflaw

The DA or State Attorney should help you collect your support. If you and the DA can't find your ex, then you can use other procedures to locate him, such as services that can help you find a missing parent. YOu could also try finding him through his tax refunds or the Department of Motor Vehicles, if he has a driver's license.

------------------
I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.
I will try to give you general guidance and point you in the right direction, but only a lawyer licensed to practice law in YOUR state who is serving as YOUR lawyer can provide you "legal advice" to rely on.

K

Katy14

Do not give up. You may try to hire a private investigator. Some will take your case and only charge you if they are successful. They may have access to electronic data bases and have other means to find out where he works. You may also try to get the Friend of the Court or agency that administers child support regulations to subpeona a pay check stub or tax documentation. Your mother can also do this on her own by going to the court and filling out the paper work and filing it. You should already have tried calling all relatives and friends that may know, this includes past employers and past fellow co-workers. You may need to stretch the truth when asking for their help (don't tell them who you are or why you want the information).
If he has made any recent purchases such as a car or house, you can subpeona loan paperwork. As far as collecting, if you have an actual court order yes you can do something. You can use the court order to place a lien on his property (house car etc) or there are many organizations out that will go after him for the money for you with no upfront cost. Such an agency will charge you a percentage (about 30%) of what they collect,which may be better than nothing.
Search the web for such an organization near you.
Good luck.

S

southernmama

one of the organizations that may be able to help you is nationalchildsupport.com. They do not charge unless they get results. Good Luck, my ex-husband owes over 80,000 in back support and I still haven't been able to collect.

N

navywife_tx

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by post:
My mom cannot find out where my dad works.He wont tell her...he wont pay childsupport ...he may give her a couple hundred every once in a while but he used to pay $1600 a month then he stopped. The DA's office is trying to find out where he works...my moms bills and credit line is all screwed up because of it ...How can we legally force my dad to pay if we dont know where he works.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Here's a cheap way to find out, follow him!!How old are you? If you have a friend that has a car then maybe the two of you could do a stake out and follow him one morning. Did you think of that? Noone is going to know that you did it but it would tell you where he worked. Just a thought..The suggestion about calling his former place of work seemed good too. Call and tell them that you need to speak to him about a family emergency and that this is the last place of work that you know of. Surely he has a friend there that will know where he works now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">