• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support collection; statute of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rumer777

I live in Washington State however I have a back support debt in Utah State (Office of Recovery Services). A case worker for Office of Support Enforcement here in WA tells me that Utah State may have lost some of my debt to statute of limitations (debt started accruing in 1981 and ended in 1988; it is all back support). The case worker here told me to request a "renewal" of my case to determine how much, if any, has been lost to statute. The case worker in Utah has informed me that there is no such thing as "renewal" and that Utah State will not lose a penny to statute. Also, that this debt must be settled by the time my youngest turns 22 years of age. She just turned 20.
I have been garnished directly by Utah State.
Does anyone know the laws regarding Utah child support??
Much appreciated
Bruce

L

LadyBlu

There is no SOL on child support.. it will follow you to your grave and beyond...

R

rumer777

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LadyBlu:
There is no SOL on child support.. it will follow you to your grave and beyond... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ladyblu:
My debt was incurred in Utah however it was turned over to WA State OSE for collection in 1989. In 1996 here in WA State I was "persuaded" to sign a document;this was a waiver to statute as WA State had considered a loss of almost a third of the debt at that point and didn't want to lose more. Do you know anything about that?
Thanks!
Bruce

L

LadyBlu

I have no idea of what you are talking about. I do know that when the child support obligation ends(child(ren) turn 18 or out of school), the parties involved can reach an agreement to lower the arrears balance by a percentage. The part owed that is removed from the balance is usually part of the interest that has accumulated.

K

Kaytin

I dont know if any of this willhelp you but I live in utah and my ex husband lives in washington. I go through the washignton recovery service. We have nto had any problem with back child support or any of it getting lost. Maybe you guys could change it to your area. Just a thought. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">