• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support/father's rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bjturn

a father did not pay child support for many years due to naivety/ignorance of the law, etc. they were young, and the ex-wife says "i am moving away and if you don't bother me I won't bother You" so 10 yrs. later a warrant is issued. the child support has been paid over the last 6 yrs, somewhat consistently,although about 3 yrs into it, due to unemployment did not pay(the wife filed a complaint and husband did 6 mos jail). now she has transferred the order to the state the husband lives in for enforecment on arrears. the interest itself is as much as arrears. my questions are: how come interest is allowed when there is nothing in the decree about that. and. the child was raised by his grandparents not his mother, was that allowed and how come we are paying her money when she did not even raise the child. is there anything that can be done stop the interest or contest anything. she is remarried.

Z

Zoobie

You need to put the state that you are in and the state the decree was made in.

In CT they do not charge interest. And paying of child support will go to who ever has custody. The mother may have "legal custody" and is letting the grandma raise the child. In this case the mother would still get the money, but the granny cant ask for money...

If you can get granny into court to testify that she provided the monetary assistance to the children you MAY be able to get the arrears reduced, but I doubt it. Once that court order was filed he was legally responsible to pay that support NO MATTER WHAT.
Your best bet is to get a lawyer .

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">