• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support/Public Aid/ex g/f

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

StarShineMoon

Friday Public Aid delivered papers to my fiance,s house to appear in court, they just slipped them into my mailbox, not face to face, is this legal? Does he have to show or say I never received the papers? This is for a child that was born to a woman he left because she was seeing others, after he left she called and told him she was pregnant, he told her then it wasn't mine, and wanted a DNA test which she has refused everytime asked. He did go to see her a day after the baby was born and was told to leave and threatened by her family, they made him sign a paper they told me was a release paper and I hope to God it wasn't the birth Certificate papers, being harassed at, and yelled at he stupidly didn't pay attention. He have requested a DNA test since the child was born, the mother refused. She sent him mail telling him to stay out of their lives and someone else was going to be the babies father. Now he's served with papers to appear in court to pay child support and learn this child has his last name. Can he request a time change because he does not want to loose my job, and how do we attain a public defender, he only make 8.23 an hour and 24% goes to his ex wife for support of our 16 yr old daughter, they've been divorced 3 yrs from a 24 yr marriage. Can he claim any hardships? He's convicted to the belief that this IS NOT his child, we need to know his rights, what can we do? Can we ask for a DNA test before they say he has to pay just because she says hes the father? If he is the father, and there is a chance of that, can we ask for visitation rights? I ask this because there hasn't been any contact with this woman and baby for over a year, she just dissappeared and quit harrassing us, now she is using public aid to do what she wants, and she is living with a man, they are suppose to get married, or may already be, if shes married she can still get public aid? I'm in the state of Illinois. Court will be in Joliet, Will County. Any help would be so appreciated. If he believed the baby was his he would of accepted his responsibilities long ago. Its a sad situation, and sad that someone forces a baby on a 50 yr old man. He believed her about birth control, I've told him NEVER TRUST anyone on that, protect yourself!

------------------
Cyndie

C

cat2young

I don't know about if they can ask for support before a DNA test but I know you can not get a public defender, they are only in the criminal courts and then you have to be facing jail. What I can say is look in the phone book and call both the legal aid and the bar association in your area tell them what is going on and ask for their help.

------------------

N

navywife_tx

If the mother of the child named him as the father then they are going to come after him for support. If he IS NOT listed as father on the birth certificate then yes, a DNA test will have to be performed to prove that he is in fact the father. If the test proves he is, then he will be ordered to pay support and he can at that time ask for visitation. If he did sign papers that turned out to be paternaty papers then there probably won't be a DNA test done b/c he admitted to being the child's father. One thing people don't understand is that no matter how much someone is pushing you, or harrassing you, don't sign anything until you have a lawyer look it over or until you atleast read it.

S

StarShineMoon

child support/public aide/ex g/f

We go to court tomorrow and I'm nervous and so is my fiances mother, who when she first saw the baby told him to get the test done but the mom refused. We have found e-mails stating she will send him papers for him to sign to take him off the certificate but she never sent any, I hope these have some standing in court. Most e-mails she sent she seems concerned with his death leading me to believe she got pg named him as the father hoping he would die since he is 50 and she could collect his SS money free and clear. Its sad when women force babies on men, they should have some say if they want to be fathers or not, we as women have that choice. He has told me from the beginning hes so sure he isn't the father, I sure hope his feelings are right.
Does the mother have to show in court? I have been told she does and doesn't, I would like to know. I know I will be there supporting my fiance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">