• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support, a real dead beat dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cat2young

My Ex is about $26,000 behind in his support. Can I find out how much he paid his lawyer in the last 2 years? I'm in FL. This would help as he has asked the court to lower his support payments.I'm sure he has spent at least $12,000 in the last year fighting me in court, ( lawyer, PI's etc.) and has not made a payment since May.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cat2young:
My Ex is about $26,000 behind in his support. Can I find out how much he paid his lawyer in the last 2 years? I'm in FL. This would help as he has asked the court to lower his support payments.I'm sure he has spent at least $12,000 in the last year fighting me in court, ( lawyer, PI's etc.) and has not made a payment since May.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

This may come as a big surprise to most, but in Family law matters the fees and costs arrangement must be disclosed when a request for an attorney fees/costs order is made in the family law proceeding. So, in the "Discovery Phase", all you have to do is ask the question - - "How much have you spent on attorney's fees and costs in this matter since (date) and up to today's date?"

Normally, in every other type of case, this information is considered "Attorney/Client" privileged information. But, in Family law, the amounts spent by each party, prior to the final decree, are presumed to be "shared" monies of the marriage and, as such, each party has a right to know where their money is being spent, and how much.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

A

Arrow

Considering that you can ask or subpeona his tax returns and average his earnings, why get hung up on what he has paid his attorney? Your local county attorney or court house can assist you in getting the paperwork started and soon he will be without a drivers license. Have you contacted the county courthouse to see if they can provide you with any "Free" legal service to collect the child support ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">