• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support for an unborn child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lost30

I am a 30 year old single mother of one. I recently found out that I am pregnant. The father of the unborn child refuses to take responsibilty. Is there anything,legally, I can do now? Or must I wait until the child is born?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Berkely county,SC

U

usdeeper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lost30:
I am a 30 year old single mother of one. I recently found out that I am pregnant. The father of the unborn child refuses to take responsibilty. Is there anything,legally, I can do now? Or must I wait until the child is born?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have to wait until the child is born.. Then, you file for proper court ordered custody and Child Support.

O

ohbratti1

In a similar situation, I spoke with an attorney and was advised that I can file my "paperwork" before the birth, but that nothing could really be "done" until the baby was born. The attorney further advised me that if I file before giving birth, I stand a greater chance of recovering half my medical expenses from the "dad"….if that's what I wanted to do. My plan is to file the week I give birth. I'm not concerned about recovering any money I've paid out…I chose to have my baby and will gladly pay the cost, but I want to ensure that I get custody established as quickly as possible. It may just be a formality in my situation, but it will give me peace of mind. You never know how someone will react to their newborn child. Some are very blasé and then do a complete 180 when they see/hold that baby for the first time. It's such an overwhelming emotion that can cause the coldest person to turn to putty. Better safe than sorry.

L

lost30

I appreciate the info. Thanks. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ohbratti1:
In a similar situation, I spoke with an attorney and was advised that I can file my "paperwork" before the birth, but that nothing could really be "done" until the baby was born. The attorney further advised me that if I file before giving birth, I stand a greater chance of recovering half my medical expenses from the "dad"….if that's what I wanted to do. My plan is to file the week I give birth. I'm not concerned about recovering any money I've paid out…I chose to have my baby and will gladly pay the cost, but I want to ensure that I get custody established as quickly as possible. It may just be a formality in my situation, but it will give me peace of mind. You never know how someone will react to their newborn child. Some are very blasé and then do a complete 180 when they see/hold that baby for the first time. It's such an overwhelming emotion that can cause the coldest person to turn to putty. Better safe than sorry.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">