• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A child is taken and no one will help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Censored

RESPONSE OF "GERRY GOLDSHOLLE" CEO OF FREEADVICE.COM TO THE ISSUE OF "KIDNAPPING" IAAL HAS PRESENTED.

On Wed, 23 Aug 00 14:07:13 -0700 "Gerry Goldsholle" <[email protected]> writes:

"This is clearly a matter on which the father should seek personal legal advice from an experienced and knowledgeable attorney. However, what the father has done is ask, on our layperson to layperson bulletin board, from imput from others who have gone thru something like this.

"Fortunately neither I nor any family member nor friend has ever been in any terribly troubling matter like this personal matter like this so I can't provide him input. And I am neither pro-mother or pro-father, but very pro-child and most pro the rule of law.

"The issues you raise, concerning violation of American law, or laws that an American court would take cognizance of, are not a legal subject matter that I am familiar with, at all, and thus nothing in this message is intended as legal advice to anyone. On the basis of what I recall learning years ago, and general information picked up over the years, I wonder whether even a knowledgeable lawyer would have enough information to reach any firm legal conclusion that an American law is being or might be violated.

"First, based on the posting we can assume that the father is a US citizen who was living abroad, and has not forfeited his US citizenship, and is under no compulsion to remain in the country he was living in. He thus should have the right to return to, and live in the US, if he wishes.

"Second, let's assume that mother is not a US citizen but a citizen of a foreign nation, and that she and the father are lawfully married and were living in the foreign country of which she is a citizen. (If the couple is living in a third country, that merely complicates matters.)

"Third, let's assume that the daughter has, or can have (as he is applying for recognition of her US citzenship) dual citzenship in the mother's country and in the US. (If the child was born in a third country that recognizes birth in that country as vesting citizenship, the child might have triple citizenship.)

"Fourth, I get the sense that the couple was living together and raising the child, but in an unsatisfactory relationship. Obviously the husband wants out of the marriage and custody of the child.

"We do not have a clue as to what foreign country(ies) are involved, their laws about marriage, divorce, the right to establish residence, presumptions or rules as to custody, parental rights, etc. For example, do the foreign country's laws give equal rights to both parents? Or do they, as some nations do, give the mother greater rights? Or do they, as other countries do, give the father paramount rights? (For example, in some Islamic nations a husband can divorce his wife almost at will.)

"Now let's further assume that at the time the father / husband took the child out of the country, there was no binding court order or custody agreement in place that provides for restrictions on the child's residence, custody, etc.

"Would not, in the absence of any binding court order or foreign law or agreement, both parties probably have equal rights to change the matrimonial home? And the child's home? Is inertia alone the basis for custody of their child? If not, what would prevent the husband / father from returning to the US and taking the child with him?

"Consider a recent case of note, Elian Gonzalez. While in that case the mother died at sea, let's assume she and Elian both survived and reached the US. Presumably she would NOT have been violating any US law, and could have gone to a Family court in the US and sought to obtain sole custody. (Whether this would have violated Cuban law, or not, is beyond me.) Clearly Elian's mother would be more likely to obtain what she regards as a favorable outcome from a US court than a Cuban court.

"And clearly Elian's father could have gone to a Cuban court for an order giving him custody. And if Elian's father was escaping Cuba with Elian, I fail to see any legal differences in the fact that he was a man rather than a woman, nor would their marital status (or lack thereof) necessarily be relevant.

"I find it difficult to distinguish between the Elian case and the one on the BBS, if my assumptions hold, and doubt that the difference is Cuba.

"We would cooperate with any court order requiring us to turn material over, but unless I may be missing something, I do not see that a crime under American law is being committed or that there is a serious danger of one being committed that would make it appropriate for us to contact the FBI or other American law enforcement agencies. I'd value your reaction.

"Gerry H. Goldsholle CEO - Advice Company Leadership in Law, http://FreeAdvice.com, and http://ExpertPages.com

---------------------------------

IAAL'S RESPONSE TO "GERRY GOLDSHOLLE, CEO OF FREEADVICE.COM CONCERNING REPORTING THE POTENTIAL CRIME OF KIDNAPPING:

"Dear Gerry:

While I understand your response, I think there may a misunderstanding as to what I was asking. I was not asking for a reply or an opinion. I was asking that this matter be reported to the authorities.

"Please understand, also, that time is of the extreme essence in this matter and I am asking that you report this intent to commit a crime to the FBI for their action.

"There is no time to debate this matter, and I respectfully request that you allow the FBI to find this man, and allow the courts to make the final determination - - I have only asked that you turn the matter over to authorities IMMEDIATELY because you have the man's I.P. address, and can trace him and the computer from where the message was sent.

"In my opinion, this matter is a criminal matter, or has the potential for being a crime, and precious time is being wasted. Once "intent" to commit a crime has been shown, we have a lawful duty to report it - not postulate on the "what ifs" or make comparisons to the Elian Gonzalez case.

"And, since YOU hold the "key" (the I.P. log number) to prevent this felony from taking place, I implore you to exercise your judgment by erring on the side of safety, assuming any error exists at all, and report this matter TODAY.

"The Gonzalez case is manifestly different from the present situation. In that case, the mother died and there was no one left to consider for prosecution for kidnapping under American law. Here, however, we have a person who is taking advantage of American law and its "protections", talking about kidnapping, and HE IS ALIVE.

"He is contemplating, or has already been, violating American law that the child, once on this soil, is entitled to as a protection under the U.S. Constitution.

"Therefore, I implore you to merely turn the information over to the F.B.I., post haste, and let them, and the courts worry about the validity of my request and your decision to open the I.P. address.

"Remember, let's err on the side of safety, the law, AND our duty as citizens to report a crime if one is perceived. Let's let the proper authorities make the decisions.

"Thank you for your anticipated, and expedited, cooperation.

Sincerely,
IAAL"

================================================

To: "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE"

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:20:45 -0700
Subject: Re: Father Takes Child to US
Message-ID: <[email protected]>

I understand you are very concerned and respect that. Please feel free to
report the matter to the FBI if you think a crime is being committed, or is
about to be committed.

Our basic understanding, in contrast to yours, is we have no reason to
conclude the father is about to commit any crime under American law. (While Elian's mother died, had she lived do you believe there would not have been a US prosecution for bringing her own child to this country, seeking citizenship, and depriving the father of wh

MySonsMom

This is clearly a prime example of the injustice in this world. Strangers are willing to help while the appropriate contacts disengage in any importance to the matter. This makes me very sad. Because if this were my child, I would praise the God above that someone had the decency and compassion to do the right thing for my child. Once again, a child may suffer eternally for an action that could have been stopped. I will pray for this child and Mother, and hope to God that there are more people in this world like IAAL and perhaps someday the world can and could be a better place for ourselves and children.

------------------
~MySonsMom~

N

newmom

IAAL I would just like to know if you got a chance to read my reply before the post was deleted?? If so, and if you remember and of it, could you reply here?? Maybe I'm just curious as to if people would have had the same reaction had it been the mother taking the child from the father (that seems to happen every day on this board and no one gets as "emotionally involved" as with this case). I do wish the post had not been deleted because it was something very interesting to know about and I am curious as to what others would have commented.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by newmom:
IAAL I would just like to know if you got a chance to read my reply before the post was deleted?? If so, and if you remember and of it, could you reply here?? Maybe I'm just curious as to if people would have had the same reaction had it been the mother taking the child from the father (that seems to happen every day on this board and no one gets as "emotionally involved" as with this case). I do wish the post had not been deleted because it was something very interesting to know about and I am curious as to what others would have commented.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Unfortunately, I never got a chance to see your post before Mr. Goldsholle decided it was better to become a censor and delete the post. Fortunately, I made a copy of most everything about the post, including his replies, so if he should find this post and delete it, back it will come!!

While Mr. Goldsholle admits he straddles the fence on issues between men and women ("I am neither pro man or woman"), I on the other hand have a penchant for the way women feel - - especially on serious issues such as this.
because I firmly believe that in the formative years, a child needs a mother a little more than a father, because woman, by nature, are nurturers . . . something a child needs.

However, that's not to say that I would look the other way if a woman was involved in the abduction of her own child to "frustrate" the rights of a father from ever knowing his child.

I draw the line (so to speak) at breaking the law, and in that regard, I do not see a difference between a man or a woman. If either steals a child away from another, ESPECIALLY ACROSS DIFFERING CONTINENTS, then something drastic must be done to assist the innocent, and unsuspecting, parent.

You know me, and you know that I can be the nastiest son of a ***** on four wheels. I would have liked to have said more about our CEO, but the damage was already done, time had already run out, and to say anything more would probably have gotten me "deleted" from these Boards. I don't savor that idea.

I'll let Mr. Goldsholle live with his decision.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE:
I would have liked to have said more about our CEO, but the damage was already done, time had already run out, and to say anything more would probably have gotten me "deleted" from these Boards. I don't savor that idea.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you were 'deleted' then it would leave a bad taste in my mouth and I am not sure I would be back.. the board would go on, but what a loss two legal minds would be...

[This message has been edited by LegalBeagle (edited August 25, 2000).]

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by newmom:
Maybe I'm just curious as to if people would have had the same reaction had it been the mother taking the child from the father (that seems to happen every day on this board and no one gets as "emotionally involved" as with this case). I do wish the post had not been deleted because it was something very interesting to know about and I am curious as to what others would have commented.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have avoided getting into this issue from the start as I know there was a good chance me and IAAL would butt heads and I do not think it is wise for a mere grasshopper to question the master.. However, you have raised an issue I can jump into without touching the thread as a whole... (I think)

For me the part that made gender irrelevant was the fact the person had been away and living overseas. In this case, the child was able to bond with the current primary carer. We do not know how long the person was overseas and we do not know why the primary carer then passed on the child to this person and took off to another country. But the gender of the person was irrelevant at this point.

What made this, and many others, gender specific was the way it was written. Men and women write very differently. The man in question included no real emotion or reason that a compassionate person could latch on to. A women would have written that post very differently and we would probably have ended up supporting her decision to stop her child from being sent to some 3rd world country where children have no education are raped and beaten daily and who would then be sold into slavery etc etc.. There would have been a lot more about the lose of the child and how devastated she would be...

I have no doubt in my mind, that had the poster been a women and had added all the usual womanly stuff into the post, that many people would have jumped in and supported her approach.

I am not staying/suggesting that IAAL approach should/would have changed, but others would have got involved and we would have viewed it all very differently. I totally agree with IAAL on the issue of the bond between woman and the child in the early years. In fact there is another thread going on which touches this issue.

Having experienced the birth of my son this year I can truly relate to this. My wife had 9 months to prepare for the birth and 9 months to mentally bond with him. Right up until the child was born, it was just a big lump sticking out and costing me lots of money in food and cloths ! :) It was not until the birth that I got the chance to experience the joy and wonders of this child and to start my bonding with the child.

In the event that this child was conceived outside of a relationship, then there is no way that I could have taken that child from his mother and looked after him from day one. This is why women have (and rightly so) most of the rights (morally and legally) from day one. If there is no relationship then the man get little access or chance to bond with the child over the first 12 – 24 months.

The answer to that issue is not to have a child outside of a relationship….

So for me, I will always ‘lean’ towards the women when the child is young and will always favor her side where there is no proof of abuse/neglect/drugs or violence.

N

newmom

As I understood the situation, BOTH parents and the child were living overseas. MARRIED so both parents have legal right to the child - EQUAL right. My wonder was if the "emotionalism" would have been less if the MOTHER had taken the child from the father. Would that have not been as big of a deal - mabye not AS worthy of reporting to the FBI?? We don't even know how old the child is. The father stated he wanted the child educated in the US, this leads me to believe the child is of schoolage. Beyond the age of needed "nurturing" from the mother (if there is such an age where a child doesn't need either parent that they have come to know and love). I'm not saying I agree with the father for taking the child, I just think it was looked into WAY too much. And I'm curious as to why such the harsh reaction.

I wish my reply had not been deleted - I was on a roll with it and now I can't remember really what I said (pretty much what I wrote above but much more in detail and better written).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">