• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child turning 18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

concernedstep

When a minor turns 18 does that automatically mean that child support can stop or is there paperwork that needs to be filed? The decree that we have only references support for "minor children". One of them is over 18 and one will be 18 next year. We pay three times what the decree says for the two kids so I am not too worried about it now but when the second one turns 18 I want to be sure we do it right. Thanks for any advise you can give.

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by concernedstep:
When a minor turns 18 does that automatically mean that child support can stop or is there paperwork that needs to be filed? The decree that we have only references support for "minor children". One of them is over 18 and one will be 18 next year. We pay three times what the decree says for the two kids so I am not too worried about it now but when the second one turns 18 I want to be sure we do it right. Thanks for any advise you can give.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Generally, it is 18 AND has left high school but either way, before 19. Check the papers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">