• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

claiming dependent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Ty69

My divorce decree states that I get to claim my son for the tax year 1999
"provided he substantially complies with the child support order".
On Jan. 30 I called my ex wife to get our son's ss# and told her I needed her to sign form 8332 and that I was going to file that day on my home pc, she said ok and gave me the ss#. On Jan. 31 I called her and said I would be stopping by to get her to sign the form, she replies that she is not signing it because I owe her $800 in back support, $800 that the IRS is withholding from my refund. She said she is claiming him.
I filed my return on the 30th before she told me this, what can I do now? can I claim him?

L

Lianne

I'm not an expert on family law by any means, but it sounds as though that $800 may not be a "substantial" non-compliance to the child support order. Did you know you were past due on child support? If you've been paying all along, and didn't even know about this $800, you've probably still "substantially complied".

Even if both of you end up claiming your son on taxes, my guess is that they'll just send one or both of you a letter, telling you to file an amended return.

Maybe someone else will respond with more authoritative information. Or go to the IRS website at www.irs.ustreas.gov/where_file/index.html. This page will give you toll-free phone numbers to call for assistance. Look for the numbers for the Problem Resolution program and the Live Assistance line.

Good Luck!
Lianne

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">