• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Clothing, Food, Entertainment consider Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sbakke

Recently, I moved from one West Virginia to Texas. Up until that move I had physical custody of my 17 year old son. My son did not choose to move and I made arrangments for him to stay with an adult friend of mine. I paid a monthly amount to that friend for room and board. In addition I sent money to my son, as well as paying for airfare for him to visit me in Texas, where I would take him shopping for clothes, and paid for entertainment, etc. The West Virginia court has ruled that both my ex spouse and myself are obligated to pay child support for our son from the time that I moved until he reached the age of 18, 7 months later. I have been asked to submit canceled checks during that time period to the Bureau For Child Support Enforcement, which I have done. They have informed me that the moneys that I spent for clothing, etc. can not be considered as child support paid because the checks were not made payable to my son or the guardian that he was staying with even though I can show evidence that he was visiting with me during the dates on the checks that were for cloyhing, etc. Aren't those things considered support? What is child support, if not all of those things? A place to leave, food, clothing, etc?

U

usdeeper

Who initiated this action and who is going to be receiving the payments ?

I

iluvbeanies

I don't know if this will help any, but my attorney told me that clothes, toys, entertainment, etc., are considered GIFTS and are not a part of child support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">