• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is cohabitation legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TiredofThreats

I am living in the state of RI. I am divorced with custody of minor child. My boyfriend and I are considering moving in together and my ex husband tells me that its illegal to cohabitate with the opposite sex if minor children are present.... HELP!!!

MySonsMom

I have never heard of such a thing. I think perhaps your X is quite jealous and will try anything to pull the wool over your eyes. That's insane to think that you couldn't live with someone when there is a child around..I think that would be interfering with freedom of choice. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but that is insane and your response to your X should have been a giant laugh. Now, on the flip side..If your live in boyfriend is a threat to the child then that is a different story..But if there are no concerns regarding the child then your X is full of it. Good luck!

------------------
~MySonsMom~

T

TiredofThreats

No my boyfriend is a wonderful man. Very good to me and my daughter. He is respectful of both of us in every way. Quite the opposite of what i was married to! We want to live together so that we know for sure we would do okay if we should decide to marry. I am very weary of just jumping in. But my X states that there is an actual law that says a man cannot sleep here if my daughter is here. I did laugh and told him to show me the law! But then i got nervous that maybe such a law existed. i do not have the money to contact a lawyer!

MySonsMom

IAAL, USDeeper or LegalBeagle will step in for sure and let you know if there is a law. But honestly, I don't believe there is. Maybe you should request to have your X show proof of this law. I understand your intentions fully, you should have nothing to worry about. Good luck to you, your boyfriend and your child! :)

------------------
~MySonsMom~

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TiredofThreats:
I am living in the state of RI. I am divorced with custody of minor child. My boyfriend and I are considering moving in together and my ex husband tells me that its illegal to cohabitate with the opposite sex if minor children are present.... HELP!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Using logic, and that keen sense of "right and wrong", MySonsMom was correct - - as most women are - - that there is no such law in Rhode Island as you have presented the issue.

The ONLY reference to "cohabitation" in Rhode Island law is a reference to BEING ABLE to comply with the law as regards GETTING a divorce, as follows:

"The no-fault grounds for divorce in Rhode Island are: 1) irreconcilable differences which have caused the irremediable breakdown of the marriage; or 2) living separate and apart without cohabitation for three years. [General Laws of Rhode Island, Title 15, Chapters 15-5-1, 15-5-3, 15-5-5.)"

So, go ahead and cohabitate. Just be aware that if your ex-husband has concocked this "objection" in his mind, he will likely continue to find other issues for the future to make your life into a series of court appearances. He obviously suffers from the "If I can't have her, no one can" syndrome. So, be prepared, and prepare any future beau you might bring into your life.

Good luck

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

MySonsMom

&lt;&lt;MySonsMom was correct - - as most women are - -&gt;&gt;

I am still amazed how one man can get smarter and smarter every day! :)

------------------
~MySonsMom~

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE:
Using logic, and that keen sense of "right and wrong", MySonsMom was correct - - as most women are - - <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, they always 'seem' to be.. :)

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MySonsMom:
&lt;&lt;MySonsMom was correct - - as most women are - -&gt;&gt;

I am still amazed how one man can get smarter and smarter every day! :)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The mind is like a star, it is at it's brightest just prior to being lost :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">