• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contempt hearing today.......results

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

paula2

I got up and starting getting ready to go to court. As most of you have read, my ex filed for me to be held in comtempt on a credit card that was in his name and his alone. I by law, was not obligated to pay this debt, but instead of paying more attorney fees, not to mention I thought it would smooth things over with him, I entered an agreed order that I would pay 1/2. The attorney would have ended up getting that much any way. The agreed order went into effect Jan. 22, 2000. Since this time I have made 5 payments totaling over 1/2 of my share. I'm still not sure how he thought he was going to have me held in contempt.

I was to be in court at 10:00am this morning. I recieved a phone call from my attorneys office stating I didn't have to go to court that my ex agreed that the payments I was making would be okay.

I was ready to go. My ex's last attorney refuses to represent him anymore because he lies, and he says the man is "nuts". He told his new attorney I had only made one small payment since I enterd the agreed order. I guess after his attorney seen all the documentation we had, and we were going to ask for attorney fees, and bring the issue of my health into the matter and the fact that stress made my condition worse and this was a frivolous suite, he changed his mind. I am also sure the incident with my daughter at his house last visit was an issue as well.

I am kind of disappointed.....I guess I won.....it just doesn't feel like......I hate fighting and bickering......but I really would like to have seen the judge put him in his place, not to mention the look on his attorneys face when he realized what a liar my ex is.

Oh well, just glad it's over.

When I said I don't....I thought that was the end....... :rolleyes:

Paula

K

KarenSmith

Good for you Paula!!! But, were you able to stop the payments, I mean since you did pay over half, or is he trying to get you to pay more? Hope this one's stopped for you. Not a battle you've lost yet!!!

U

usdeeper

You raise an interesting issue though... that one party can lie to the attorney and get them to charge you with all sort of stuff. Someone who does not know better get this and believes they are really in the crap house as they have little money and are being threatened by an attorney...

Sometimes, it is all a bluff and easily shot down.. but you walk away with more anger and hate knowing you have just wasted more time and money..

K

KarenSmith

Good question, usdeeper, with all the trails she's been put through in the last few months, that cash needs to stretch too far. [email protected]. Would like to hear from you, paula. (Who's David?) :)

P

paula2

I believe had this gone to court, the judge would have made him pay me back. But, yes for now this is over. Until he decides to find something else to be angery and miserable about. I truely wish he could just be happy......then maybe the rest of us could take a break.

Yes, the attorney fees are killing us finanically. I have some equity in my home. If I refiance.....the payments could be more than we can afford, so we have been praying about when the transfer take place down-sizing to put money back to pay all the attorney fees and those that I am sure are to come.

Thanks for your support.

Paula

MySonsMom

Good for you Paula! One less thing off your agenda, and one less thing to worry about in this oh so worrysome world. :)

U

usdeeper

Well, we are just starting our hell as my wifes ex came out of the airforce in March into a good paying job.. he almost immediately got an attorney, has given us nothing but demands, threats and accusations.. and now we are heading for the first one of many court battles.. The cost in just the last month in time and money is draining.. and there is virutally nothing we can do about it ... yet.. I will be glad when we finally get to court!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">