• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

costodial parent vs non-costodial parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

ben

Hi; In New York does the costodial parent have to be a secretary for the child's father?
He wants her to constantlly call him with school news; dates ;time; doctor stuff; etc.
He won't pay child support and is always yelling at her and telling her that HE will make all the decissions regarding his son and tell her what to do.

sorry for the drual, I just want a legal answer, mabe something I can print and leave by the phone next time he calls.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ben:
Hi; In New York does the costodial parent have to be a secretary for the child's father?
He wants her to constantlly call him with school news; dates ;time; doctor stuff; etc.
He won't pay child support and is always yelling at her and telling her that HE will make all the decissions regarding his son and tell her what to do.

sorry for the drual, I just want a legal answer, mabe something I can print and leave by the phone next time he calls.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

What kind of "custody" does she have - - e.g., sole custody, shared custody, joint custody? What is his visitation schedule?

The answer to this will tailor my response to you.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

B

ben

sole costody, and every other weekend and every other holiday.

[This message has been edited by ben (edited October 29, 2000).]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Then, she can, if she wants to, tell him to "cram it". Sole custody means just that. Every decision, and every thing, that occurs to, about, with, or concerning that child is her decision, and hers alone. If he doesn't like it . . . that's tough.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

B

ben

thank you I've printed your response and glued it to the phone :)

MySonsMom

Even with joint custody, the custodial parent isn't obligated to cater to the non custodial parents needs. Joint custody means that the non custodial parent can have their *say* in major decisions regarding the child(ren), access any and all school records and medical. So unless there is an emergency, or a major activity the child(ren)have, that's the only obligation that needs to be reported to the non custodial parent. If the two parents are civil, then perhaps more info can be exchanged, but not required. So even with a joint custody issue, this is what the custodial parent can do...Give the non custodial parent the schools phone number and let them know that whatever they want they can get themselves. Same goes with other issues. Custodial parents shouldn't be obligated to cater to non custodial parents by any means. Now this is different when there is shared parenting or the 2 parents get along well...But in most cases it isn't that *easy*. But in your situation, there is sole custody to the Mother and she doesn't have to tell the Father ANYTHING.

------------------
*There is no love, like the unconditional love of a Mother*

-I am not an Attorney, any advice given is strictly advice-

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">