• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"COURT ORDER TO STOP SUPPORT IGNORED BY DSS!!"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

ncdreamer

NORTH CAROLINA**Before my husband and I were married in 1989, an illigitimate child was born to another woman!The child is only 3 months older than my own.When my husband found out about the woman being pregnant, her family chose not to let my husband see the child and an attorney was called upon, whereas, legal documentation was drawn up regarding support for the said child.A compromise was reached that if my husband agreed to pay all hospital bills then the support would be waived and his rights to the child also.

Well, about 2 years later the mother sought help from the local Dept. of Social Services and then they brought the support right back out!!Making him pay yet again!! We paid all of the hospital bills incurred for the said minor child and mother--but the papers my husband signed weren't worth a hill of beans because the papers were signed by a lawyer in November of 1989 and were never signed by a judge legalizing this.Then the laws changed in 1990- by the time we realized the papers weren't any good. My husband has kept up his end of the deal over the years for paying the support and the child is now 11 years old, the mother has since married and the new husband wanted to adopt the child! So we went back to court AND got the adoption papers drew up and then it has been a year and a half and the mother and new husband haven't even tried to get anything else done. My husband sought yet, another attorney and he got a COURT ORDER to stop the support but the local Dept. of Social Services is ignoring these legal documentations.He has paid the child support as required of him and hasn't even got to see the child but maybe 3 times over the past 11 years as chosen by the mother and family.....we don't know what else to do and where else to turn.....our lawyer keeps saying that he is going to file suit against the DSS office here but I think he has got his tail between his leggs and is sort of agitated about even attempting to go up against an agency such as this one. Please give me and my husband any advice that you possible can, and Thank You!

A

Always searching

x

[This message has been edited by Always searching (edited October 14, 2000).]

N

ncdreamer

Yep, we did tell the mother that we would file for full custody if she didn't speed up the adoption process that she started and get the garnishment of wages for support stopped!!They have done all that they can do now!But my problem lies with the judicial system I guess--the court order stopping the support has been ignored. My husband signed those adoption papers over 1 1/2 years ago and they told us that it wouldn't be finalized until the final decree went through--but from what I've been told it only takes 1 full year for that!!So now that my husband has gave up his rights and signed those adoption papers letting the woman's new husband adopt the child--support is still being taken out of his earnings. I just wonder what I can do to speed up the lawyer to getting on to the DSS office to get this over!!Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">