• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custody/adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cranemom

I live in Indiana, I have two kids from a previous marriage, my ex is willing to give me full custody, and wants my new husband to adopt them (kids are 3yrs & 1yr) Can I do this without a lawyer involved? how do I do it? I do understand there is no support from him, and no contact after.

U

usdeeper

You have to get an attorney.. it is too complicated to do on your own. Also, there is no legal ordered contact afterwards, does not stop your children searching for him later in life.

------------------
:) SMILE - Start Making It Livable for Everyone

Divorce is a process over which children have no control. Children should not be its victims.
When parents are under stress, it is harder to be in touch with their children's pain and anguish.
It takes time, effort, and planning on the part of the parents to be able to provide for the children's needs.
In the crisis of divorce, parents may put their children on hold while they attend to adult problems first.
Sometimes separating/divorced parents find that their roles and expectations are undefined and cloudy.
If handled properly, divorce need not be devastating for children.

MySonsMom

Yes, you need to get an attorney to help you. If it is uncontested and he signs his rights away it is VERY easy. He signs the papers..Your hubbys signs his papers..you sign yours...it goes in front of a judge and boom...parental rights from your ex are relinquished and your hubby adopts the children..costs are anywhere between $1000-$3000. Small price to pay for happiness and a "complete" faimily. Good luck!

------------------
~MySonsMom~

J

justamom

While it is always prudent to consult an attorney, it is not always necessary. In my own case, my hubby adopted my two children from a previous marriage without an attorney. It was amazingly simple, the county clerk told us what papers needed to be filed and where we could obtain them. The whole process (10 years ago) cost us $200. I have known of other cases, however, where legal representation was the difference between success and failure. I wish you and your family the very best!

------------------
In the words of Gandhi, "If we are to reach real peace in the world, we shall have to begin with children."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">