• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody Agreement without Child Support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

XGermanGirl

My husbands ex-wife currently has custody of their 2 children.
When the kids decided they would rather live with us, their mom agreed to let my husband have custody.
The only way she is willing to give up the kids, is for us to sign a waiver, freeing her of any child support payments.
To obtain custody is my husbands only concern right now. He is willing to sign the waiver, if that's what it takes.
My question: Is this goinig to be a final decission? If we just agree on custody without child support now can we, once the waiver is signed, go back to court and file for child support?
We live in West Virginia and I am aware that the laws differ from state to state but I would be grateful for any suggestions or answers.
Thanks.

X

XGermanGirl

We can't afford to hire a lawyer to take care of things. We considered purchasing a packet for the divorce decree modification and filing it ourselves. Is this going to be complicated? I am German and I don't have any problems communicating but I am not that familiar with the law. Do you advise against this? What do you suggest?

X

XGermanGirl

Yes, they are living with their mother in Arizona. The girl is 13 and the boy is 10.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">