• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody Battle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

simsca1500

I moved from Arkansas to South Carolina with my son. The child support office started a modification last year and served the papers a week after I left. After receiving the papers he filed for custody. In the past seven years they have had maybe seven tense short visits( 1 day at the most). No regular phone contact or visitation rights exist. Before leaving the state I notified him. I left for a new job. I am retaining a lawyer in Arkansas and am being told he doesn't have a case. What factors would be looked at for custody or visitation??

LegalBeagle

His only grounds could be that you took the child out of state without notifying anyone. So, if you have a copy of the letter you sent and also proof of sending then there is no case at all. If you do not, then you can easily defeat the petition based on his lack of visitation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">