• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sulebu

WV is the state we are in. My daughter and her boyfriend had a baby girl in March. Both were residents of WV at the time the baby was born. He relocated to Pittsburgh PA and she moved there in April. The situation because of drinking and gambling became intolerable for my daughter and she moved back home to WV. The baby's dad has only made 2 attempts to see her in a month and spent less then 5 hours combined time with her. Recently, after a disagreement with my daughter he threatened legal action to get shared custody or visitation. What are his rights. He signed paternity papers, but my daughter is NOT asking for child support. Thus far he has sent no money, or bought anything for his daughter. Should we retain legal counsel. He still lives in PA and his job requires travel.

MySonsMom

Yes, your daughter needs to get custody of the child. Just because the child has lived with the mother doesn't mean she has custody. The father could come for a visit and never return the child and it would be perfectly legal. I suggest getting an attorney and filing for custody..most likely the father will get visitation. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">