• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custody in relation to abuse and neglect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Trixie

My husband and I want to go for custody of his 7 year old daughter. She lives with her mother, my husband has visitation. We pay child support, and contribute an additional $900 a year in clothes, school stuff, etc.
My stepdaughter's mother has another child that's two. They all live in a rundown trailer on the verge of being condemned. My stepdaughter's school has called Child Protective Services 2 times in the past year, once for overall neglect and the other for a slight physical injury that the mother inflicted. My stepdaughter was in counseling all through kindergarten, has 2 child advocates assigned to her at school, has lice every week when we pick her up, has sustained injuries when she wasn't being supervised, has repeated social problems and "staying on task" problems at school, and the teachers have told us that it's obvious she's not getting any attention at home; schoolwork or otherwise.
CPS up here won't do anything, mainly because the mother is a member of one of the most well known families in that town.
Can anyone tell me what chance we have for getting custody of my stepdaughter? We're saving up for a lawyer, should have the $ soon...
Any replies would be welcome. Thanks!

T

Tlobozzo

my heart goes out to you i am in a simialar situation and please get a good lawyer that knows that family law well. I didn't and now i am paying for that. (all lawyers are not equal) i dont know what state you are in but in texas if the child's physical or emotional state is at question then the courts will rule in favor of changing the current custody. good luck and my prayers are with you.

U

usdeeper

Document, document, DOCUMENT!

You have a good case.. get proof, get witnesses, get reports from the relevant agencies and file for custody asap. You might even be able to file for emergency custody in the mean time if you believe the children are being seriously neglected.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">