• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dead beat mom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MrMom X 4

I posted this topic earlier, but did not give all info. I have full custody of 4 young children since Oct. of 98. Ex-wife is not paying child support. The order given was in June of 99 which gave her 6 more months to get on her feet. She has moved out of state. My lawyer has been totally useless and both of her lawyers have quit since she will not take phone calls from them or sign anything they send her. She says she is too stressed to work and keeps getting fired when she does not show up for work. The financial strain of all of the child care is breaking me. I am in hopes that someone can advise of an organization that might help me to fill out the proper paper work and point me in the right direction to get her to take responsibility. If this were a dead beat dad, the courts would have him in jail.

LegalBeagle

Unfortunately, all you can do is ensure that a court order is in place for a set amount and then when she does not pay, either hand the problems off to CSEA or just let the arrears build up. When 2-3 years have passed, drag her back into court and let the judge sort her out.

You are right though, if things were the other way round, you would be on your way to jail. You have to weigh up the cost of pursuing this with the likely amount of return. Like investing in stocks.. no point spending 2k on something which is only likely to return $50 a month for a few years.

Just get to the point where is a proper court order, ordering her to pay a set amount and then be thankful that she leave you alone.. If you need the money, apply for givenment aid, they will help in their own way then one day will make her pay, regardless of the sex of the person, they will make them pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">