• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deadbeat Girlfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Brady111

My question has to do with my former fiance. We broke up and she refuses to give back the $2000 engagement ring. In California can I sue her in small claims court with any chance of winning?

Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brady111:
My question has to do with my former fiance. We broke up and she refuses to give back the $2000 engagement ring. In California can I sue her in small claims court with any chance of winning?

Thanks!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>\

My response:

In California, it depends upon what caused the break-up, and who it was that said, "The engagement is off!!"

So, do you wish to elaborate?

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

B

Brady111

Hi IAAL,

Thanks for your response. I broke it off after it became obvious that we shared little common interests and she kept challanging me to call it off.

She was very jealous and very insecure. We have been dating for 9 months now and every few weeks she would have an insecurity attack and accuse me of not loving her. We always worked through these times with lots of hugs, kisses, "I love you's" and tears. That is up until this last one.

This time she came to my house and 5 minutes after a big "hello" kiss from me and a "I love you and missed you," she was crying and said she didn't want me to feel trapped, and if I wanted to, she would be willing to break off the engagment, GIVE BACK THE RING and not have any hard feelings.

We talked and cried for a few hours, She kept repeating her offer or challenge to break up with her. But this time we didn't resolve the question as we had before. After thinking it over for a couple of days, it became obvious this wasn't going to work. So, I took her up on her offer.

Needless to say, now there is bad feelings and I don't have the ring.

Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

The fact remains, you broke the engagement, despite her offers.

She gets the ring, you get the payments.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">