• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability Insurance for Spousal Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

larry3

My ex-wife recently took me back to court to fight a previously agreed upon imputed income. What she got instead was a slight lowering of imputed income for this year, so that she can finish college. What she also got was an order that spousal support to be set to $0, non-modifiable, beginning next year, when she is expected to get a job and take care of herself.

There is a big difference however, between spousal support being set to $0, and spousal support termination in a long-term marriage. This should be of interest to anyone with support step-downs stipulated in the future. By law, if my wife were to suffer a catastrophic accident, which was to reduce or remove her wage earning capability, I would be responsible for her "standard of living" at the time of divorce, probably for the rest of her life.

I had a clause added to the stipulation that I may, at my discretion, provide any disability or other wage replacing insurance for my ex-wife, and that she would submit to any necessary tests. The problem is, I can not find an insurance policy that will protect the wage earning capability of a non-working person. In other words, I can't find a disability policy for an unemployed person. She isn’t supposed to start working until next year, and she may decide not to work at all. More importantly, there is a history of fabricated disability in her family. I did find one accident insurance policy that might cover some issues that I am looking into, but so far, this is looking bleak.

When I raised the insurance issue in court, the attorneys and judge all looked surprised and astonished that such a huge financial risk had never been broached before. I guess I am the first one that ever brought up insurance as a way to protect myself. Actually, I didn’t understand the risk until that day.

Does anyone know of an insurance company/policy that can help me (and others) with this situation? After weeks of investigating, I have feel that I have exhausted all of my other resources.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">