• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Betty

my husband and I reside in Florida and are getting a divorce. He had agreed to let me keep the marital home. Do I have to refinance in my name alone or can I keep our current mortgage as is?

MySonsMom

That is up to your husband. If he doesn't mind having his name on a property that he is not entitled to other then financially, then leave it be. But most likely, for his safety; he will want his name off of it due to possible credit problems. Regardless if you got the house in the divorce, if his name is still on the mortgage he is held responsible for the payment...that puts a lot of trust in you. I personally would want my name off, because you never know what could happen. Good luck! :)

------------------
~MySonsMom~

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">