• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce after separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Curious_Sister

Withdrawing request.....

[This message has been edited by Curious_Sister (edited August 26, 2000).]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Curious_Sister:
My question concerns divorce after a separation of 5 years. Here is the situation: the husband earns a living in Japan while the wife is in California with their two kids, one 19, the other 13. Can the husband legally file for a divorce since the wife refuses to return to Japan with their children? Also, the wife has been using the children as an excuse to demand money from the husband excessively. What is the minumum amount of money by law that the husband needs to give to his wife in order to settle the divorce and be free to marry the woman who has been living with him and caring for him for 4 years. Any advice would be appreciated that would help the husband.
~Sister in Va
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

I take it that you have no plans to become a part of your nieces and/or nephew's lives.

In any event, your brother can divorce his wife anywhere in the world, as long as he meets that country's laws, and if that country recognizes the state of divorce (some south American countries, for example, don't).

In any event, that's the easy part. The hard part is dealing with the children in this equation. Japan does not have jurisdiction over the children; California does. Once the divorce is finalized, from wherever (assuming his wife agrees to the foreign jurisdiction), California will recognize it, and then proceedings can be filed by him or her in California regarding the children; e.g., support (both child and spousal), and visitation rights, along with custody guidelines, because California has jurisdiction over the children if they've been here for 6 months or more.

I don't know, and you never mentioned, your brother's financial wherewithall, but it would be a lot simpler if the ENTIRE filing were done for both parts of the divorce, in one state, California. So, it might be better if your brother hired an attorney here in California to get the ball rolling.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">