• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce and domestic violence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

danarepe

OK first off I am married to an abusive husband. I have never filed any police report about it. We also have 3 children. I left him about 7 weeks ago. First I went to two different domestic violence shelters. Now i am living with family where he can't find me. My first question is do i have to file for divorce in the state i was married in? Also I am worried that he may try to get custody of my children, without any police reports will I be able to prove the domestic violence? I would appreciate any advice you might be able to provide. Thanx

A

Always searching

x

[This message has been edited by Always searching (edited October 14, 2000).]

U

usdeeper

You file for divorce in the state that currently has jurisdiction.. so if you have lived in your current state for 6 months then file in that state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">