• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorced-remarry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shattow50

My ex and I divorced a few months ago.My question is do we have to wait the normal 6 months to get remarried to one another again(we made a mistake)or can we do it earlier.We are from Wisconsin.

usmcfamily

I have looked into the divorce laws for your state (thank you for re-posting witht that info as in this case it DID make a difference!)....as residents of the state of Wisconsin you CANNOT marry (or re-marry) if you have been divorced less than six months. Furthermore...if you decide to try and circumvent this law by marrying outside of the state but maintain your Wisconsin residency (ie quick weekend in Reno) your marriage will NOT be recognized by the state of Wisconsin. From the way the law is written it would appear your only option is to "date" each other for six months and THEN re-marry. Or, move to another state (Oregon for instance only requires 30 from the date the divorce is final for either party to re-marry) and go about it that way...however, moving for this purpose alone would not seem very practical as it usually takes six months to establish residency in any state so you would be right back where you started! Best advice, considering you did divorce, is to wait the six months anyway and be sure that this time your change-of-heart is a lasting one ---- after all there must have been some change-of-heart to lead you to divorce in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I am fully supportive of couples who can find a way to make this work and make the marriag last even AFTER a divorce ...... I just would caution BOTH of you to be SURE this time before you get into anything ....maybe six months of thinking would be good for the two of you? :). However, be advised I am not an attorney or a resident of your state and would suggest at least calling a family law attorney in your area to confirm what I have said here - there MAY be a loophole for you two as the person you wish to "re-marry" is your ex-spouse....never hurts to ask, especially since most offer free initial consultations and that would likely be all you will need - consultation!
Best of luck in your future!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">