• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorcing spouse who's in prison

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Aunteebarb

Help! I'm in Illinois and would like to get a divorce from spouse who is in prison (since 1992). I have not seen him since 1989 when he left our home. Is there a quick way to get this divorce? I would like to remarry. Help!!!!!

L

LadyBlu

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aunteebarb:
Help! I'm in Illinois and would like to get a divorce from spouse who is in prison (since 1992). I have not seen him since 1989 when he left our home. Is there a quick way to get this divorce? I would like to remarry. Help!!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You did not mentionif you have children from the marriage or not. Here are the Divorce Requirements and Grounds for Illinois:

RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS AND WHERE TO FILE: The spouse filing for dissolution must have been a resident of Illinois for 90 days immediately prior to filing for dissolution of marriage. The dissolution of marriage may be filed in a county where either spouse resides. [750 Illinois Compiled Statutes; Chapter 5, Sections 104 and 401 ].

LEGAL GROUNDS FOR DISSOLUTION OF MARRIAGE: No-Fault: Irreconcilable differences has caused the irretrievable breakdown of the marriage and reconciliation has failed or further attempts at reconciliation are impractical and the spouses have been living separate and apart without cohabitation for 2 years. (If both spouses consent, the time period becomes 6 months). [750 Illinois Compiled Statutes; Chapter 5, Section 401].

General: (1) impotence; (2) adultery; (3) habitual drunkenness for 2 years and/or drug addiction; (4) conviction of a felony; (5) willful desertion for 1 year; (6) cruel and inhuman treatment; (7) attempted poisoning or otherwise endangering the life of the spouse; (8) infection of the other spouse with a communicable disease; and (9) bigamy. [750 Illinois Compiled Statutes; Chapter 5, Section 401].

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">