• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to pay child support to my fiance's ex?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

monkeysee

I live in Texas and I just read on another website about a woman, now married to a man w/previous children, being ordered by a judge that her income be included in determining the amount of child support paid by her husband. I know laws vary state to state,but I'm worried. I'M MARRYING A MAN WHO HAS CHILDREN FROM A PREVIOUS MARRIAGE. HE REGULARLY PAYS HIS CHILD SUPPORT. We earn about the same. I WANT TO PROTECT MY INCOME FROM ANY FUTURE INCREASE IN SUPPORT PAYMENTS SHOULD THE EX- SEEK MORE. Is this possible in the state of Texas?

R

Ronne

My advice to you is to keep your money separate from your soon-to-be hubby's. Keep separate checking and savings accounts. I believe from what I've read that the only way your income could be computed would be if there were special circumstances-a child with medical illness, etc. Other than that, I am under the impression that your money is just that---YOUR money. Since they are not your children, you should not have to help pay for them.

I practice what I preach. I keep separate accounts from my husband, also. Good Luck.

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by monkeysee:
I live in Texas and I just read on another website about a woman, now married to a man w/previous children, being ordered by a judge that her income be included in determining the amount of child support paid by her husband. I know laws vary state to state,but I'm worried. I'M MARRYING A MAN WHO HAS CHILDREN FROM A PREVIOUS MARRIAGE. HE REGULARLY PAYS HIS CHILD SUPPORT. We earn about the same. I WANT TO PROTECT MY INCOME FROM ANY FUTURE INCREASE IN SUPPORT PAYMENTS SHOULD THE EX- SEEK MORE. Is this possible in the state of Texas? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is rare for a new spouses income to be taken into account so providing his children are healthy then you should have no worries.

Yes, it does happen sometimes, but chances are the times you hear about it, they do not include all the details. For example, in FL, if you and your husband had a child and then tried to reduce the CS payments he pays because of the new child, then your income would be taken into account as you are responsible for the new child that he is trying to use to reduce payments for the first child.

So, generally do not worry about it.. and if it ever happens, then appeal it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">