• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to put up with this #*?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lauralou

I'm going to try and make this as short as possible. I posted a letter on 10/25/00 titled PLEASE HELP ME! The father of my six-year-old daughter does not initiate visitation, although he has joint custody. He lives with his parents (34-year-old with no money and no future). His father calls once a month to pick up my daughter on Saturday and bring her home on Sunday. Sometimes her father is there, sometimes not. Anyway, the last time she was there, there was an incident that occurred where my daughter and her father had to be taken home to the grandfather's house by police. He was driving a car in which himself, his girlfriend, my daughter and three other children were in. He and his girlfriend had a fight and she tried to jump out of the car while in motion. Apparently, they were on a busy street. My daughter says about five cop cars came and the girlfriend and the three other children got out of the car and walked. He was not allowed to drive the car home due to having a suspended license. My daughter stated that he had been drinking earlier at the house. In Texas, driving with a suspended license is automatic go to jail with $500.00 bond, but his father is an investigator for the sherriff's department. So go figure. My daughter was very upset about this incident. So the father's father calls two weekends ago to see if they could come and get her? My husband, and I promise you he was very polite, wanted to know what had went on the previous visit. He was informed it was none of his business and they had legal rights to her. We feel it is our business. Now I know he does not. The father does, but he does not. I have let these people walk on me for six years. I have always let them see my daughter whenever they have asked (which is not often). I have put up with hateful attitudes. Their son does not pay his court ordered child support and I had decided not to pursue this because it is really no use. I have not held this as an issue, I have never mentioned it. Now, they called four times last weekend (caller ID) and I did not answer. What should I say to these people. My husband loves my daughter and supports her, not only financially, but in many other ways. These people never acknowledged her birthday this year. Even though they had been given a schedule of all baseball and basketball games, they did not attend any of them. They never ask how she is doing in school. No school clothes. Nothing. When they call this weekend, what should I say? I am somewhat intimidated by this man. Shouldn't it be the father's responsibility to initiate visitation with his daughter? I am also upset about the fact that he would disrespect my husband, a man who loves, cares about, and supports his granddaughter and feel he deserves some acknowledgement of this? What do you make of it? Please respond. My stomach is turning. I'm afraid my daughter will blame me if she does not get to see these people, but at the same time, we deserve respect, and I am to the point of demanding it. Any suggestions on how to approach this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">