• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do it yourself Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rynnel1

I would liek some advice on a diy divorce. We are good friends and have no "propertyy" as it were and would like to separate amicably with no lawyers. How do I do it

E

evols

I just did the same thing as you want to do. Call the courthouse they should tell you exactly what you need to do. It's very easy. Only be warned. No matter how good of friends you are now sometimes it changes. My ex and I are still great friends except he can't stand up to his new girlfriend and he calls me constantly trying to get me to alter our original agreement because she is jealous and doesn't want us to have any contact (which is neccessary right now according to the divorce) Detail everyting out within the form for uncontested divorces. Evols
I would liek some advice on a diy divorce. We are good friends and have no "propertyy" as it were and would like to separate amicably with no lawyers. How do I do it[/QUOTE]

R

rynnel1

thank you for the advice...I would think that whatever you agreed in the papers would stand up in court as it would if you have used a lawyer - nothing would be different. My husband thinks we are going to be close still and I doubt it but would like to remain good parents to our children and do not intend on letting anyone come between us and our children. I can only speak for myself of course

MySonsMom

Yes, if you get a do it yourself divorce kit, do everything you are suppose to do and file it with the courts that is a legal binding document/order. If 2 people can communicate and decide on the welfare of themselves and they family, it's a good thing. (just so that the situation isn't too complicated) Good luck!

------------------
~MySonsMom~

J

jfma

Speaking only as a layperson, I would absolutely recommend retaining a lawyer, especially since you have children. The most trivial thing could come back to haunt you and then you really would need a lawyer. You might as well have one from the beginning instead of finding out later that certain things were not spelled out in the do-it-yourself agreement. Even good friends can turn into bitter enemies when it comes to disagreements about children, property (everyone has some), visitation, etc. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

MySonsMom

Getting an attorney would be the ideal thing to do..But they are very expensive and some times it's just not feasible. But you are right, that's always best..But if it's not an option a do it yourself divorce is the next best thing.

------------------
~MySonsMom~

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">