• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does child support end @ 18? Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Firewolf

I was looking through the questions and found this one...
DOES CHILD SUPPORT END WHEN THE CHILD IS 18?
My daughter will be 18 but she will be attending college and staying at home...Wouldnt this be specified on the modification decree? Im in Texas and most things are backward here... Thank you

U

usdeeper

Generally, CS can continue until the child is 23 or when they finish college. If there is nothing specified in any documents then there is a safe bet that the courts will not see the support ending on their 18th birthday.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Firewolf:
I was looking through the questions and found this one...
DOES CHILD SUPPORT END WHEN THE CHILD IS 18?
My daughter will be 18 but she will be attending college and staying at home...Wouldnt this be specified on the modification decree? Im in Texas and most things are backward here... Thank you
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

In Texas, there is no provision in the law for continuing child support after age 18, even if the child goes on to college. However, the Texas courts will uphold a written agreement, or court order, to this effect. So, for all intents and purposes, notwithstanding a written agreement, child support ends at 18.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited July 20, 2000).]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by usdeeper:
Ohhhhhhh :(<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

That's okay, Usdeeper. We all can't know everything. For about 99.5 percent of the time, you give great advice and suggestions - - heck, when it comes to other State's laws, I've even learned from you. You're a good head, kiddo, and nice work.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">