• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dress for Success!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lady Blue

Alright, this is a message for all you experienced court people out there!

It looks like I have my first ever court appearance up-coming (it's a hearing) - and unfortunatly, I need some advice for the best way to present myself.

At present, I am 9 months pregnant - but the hearing is not scheduled until October 14th, so I will have delivered by then. I am 20, however, I usually pass for mid - late twenties. I need to come across as knowledgable, honest, cognizant and coherent :)
The case involved is my divorce from a sexually/emotionally/physically/financially abusive husband - who is contesting divorce and demanding full custody of a newborn (with no visitation) and child support in addition to payments of many of his personal debts. (ARGH) So that is what I am up against - and thus far, I have been unable to find out much about the judge....besides that he's male.

So if you could give me any demeanor/dress/etc suggestions, I would be terribly appreciative.

LegalBeagle

Does he have an attorney ?? Is he for real ? full custody of a new born with no visitation for you ?? Do you have any proof of any of the abuse you mention ?

As for dress.. how would you normally dress for an interview ? No teeshirts, jeans, sneekers etc.. No low cut tops or short skirts etc..

I am sure many of the worldly women here can give you better advice but those are the basics..

L

Lady Blue

*sigh*

Yeah, he's for real...at lest, that's what his attorney says ...ugh..more complicated - this is an interstate case...He keeps trying to have case moved back to his state (KY) even though I filed here (AZ) first, and after I officially became a resident....another contested thing. And the abuse..well, that's another story...it was a small town, his uncle's the sheriff and the one time I said anything to my doctor about the sexual...well, lets just say it was more worth my while not to say anything again. So I sucked it up and left when I could...no real "evidence" in hand.

If it wasn't for guys like you Legal Beagle and IAAL....I would lose all hope in your gender :p

LegalBeagle

Since the child has not been born then AZ will have 100% jurisdiction.. no if's or but's about that..

If you filed first in AZ then again, there is no question, AZ has jurisdiction over the divorce. Where is the first court hearing ? Have you actually been served by any court from KY ?

If there is anyway you can get an attorney, then do so..

L

Lady Blue

Let me back up.....

I leave KY and go to Az ...wait till day 94 (90 is req.) and file my petition in AZ. Had it served to hubby who is still in KY. Hubby files seperate petition in KYafter the fact, then files a special appearence w/AZ for dismissal of my petition based on his assumption that I was not in AZ for 90 days prior to filing (which I was and have documentation to back up). After consulting with lawyer, sent a response for the court in AZ concerning hubby's motion for dismissal, and a motion for dismissal of hubby petition (based on prior jurisdiction, equity, comity and all that good stuff) to be filed w/KY.

Thus far, neither petition has been formally "responded" to. To best of my knowledge, hearing is concerning hubby's motion for dismissal in AZ...if it has not been settled by that point..at this time, I am still unclear..all I know is that I was sent a notice from the courthouse with day time and room to appear *blink*

*sigh*

LegalBeagle

Thanks :) Also remember that once the child is born, AZ has automatic jurisdiction which adds more to your case regarding AZ having overall jurisdiction.

Good luck, and let us know how things go...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">