• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DadMark

I have a question regarding child support. Some background info:

I have two children from my first marriage. My ex has primary custody, and I pay child support directly to her on a monthly basis. Our separation agreement stipulates child support for both children, reduced to 50% when one child is emancipated, and zero when both are emancipated.

My oldest child will be 18 in October, and is entering her junior year in high school (she was held back a year).

There is some confusion regarding the emancipation / termination of child support clause in our Agreement, the text of which follows between the quotes:

"EMANCIPATION OF THE CHILDREN

16. For purposes of this Agreement, Husband's obligation for the support of the parties children shall continue until the latest of any of the following:

a) Either child attaining the age of eighteen years;
b) Either child graduating from high school.

Notwithstanding the above, either child shall be considered emancipated upon his or her marriage, entry into the Armed Forces of the United States or termination of school prior to graduation."

For the purposes of determining the termination of support for one child, does this mean that child is emanciapted when:

a) either the child is eighteen OR graduates from high school, or
b) the child is eighteen AND graduates from high school?

Please note that this is NOT a plan to skip out on child support in any way. I will continue to support my daughter, even after she's emancipated. The significant difference is that I will have control over where the money goes.

U

usdeeper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DadMark:
16. For purposes of this Agreement, Husband's obligation for the support of the parties children shall continue until the latest of any of the following:

a) Either child attaining the age of eighteen years;
b) Either child graduating from high school.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The key word here is 'LATEST' So in your case, you continue to pay support until the child in question leaves high school..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">