• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family visitation while father is deployed overseas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Girliegirl

My boyfriend is a member of the National Guard and has recently been deployed overseas for approximately 4 months. His parents have requested visitation of his two children while he is gone. His ex-wife has refused to let them have visitation even though he has told her that is what he wants. The ex-wife lives over 3 hours away so that makes it harder to see them. With the holidays coming up they want to try going through the courts to get the visitation granted. How do you convince the ex-wife that it is in the childrens best interest to still have contact/visitation with the father's family while he is gone? She is a very controlling person and I don't think she is going to change her mind. Any suggestions as to go about trying to get some kind of visitation with his children?

LegalBeagle

The chances of the GP getting visitation approved by a court within 4 months are slim to nil. Any good attorney would appeal a decision for vistation based on the US Supreme Court decision (Troxel v. Granville)that stated allowing ANY person to petition for visitation unconstitutionally infringed on parents' fundamental rights to rear their children.

J

justlooking

Once again, i think it's a shame that parent's do these types of things. Just b/c the bio mom is mad at the father doesn't mean she should purposely keep the kids from their grandparents.It makes it even sadder when one parent is in the military.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">