• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

a father changing his mind about being a dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fadake

I have a question on child support. If a man meets a woman and he knows that she is pregnantand within months after they get married he wants the child to have his last
name and the name is changed. Now 8 yrs later she is suing him for child support can
he be ordered to pay since this is the only father the chid knows based on the
familirity act of new york state. Please not that the father has carried this child as a dependent on legal documentation (INS) etc.
I am now being ordered by the court to undergo blood test with my child within the next month. He knew from the beginning that
this was not his child and he accepted responsibility 8 yrs ago and today he wants to walk away from her

LegalBeagle

How did they go about getting the name changed ? When the child was born, what was signed and what was placed on the b/c ?

Was there ever an consent order of paternity signed ??

F

fadake

We went to vital records in NYC and filled
all the necessary papers to add his name to the birth certificate. there was papers signed and notarized but i can't recall the name or document # on them. His name is on the Birth certificate now ( it was amended about 2-3 months after her birth.) To go back when she was born the father name was
blank her biological father wanted no rights to her. So the man i was dating at that time requested that his name be put on. Now i realize he probably did it to show INS that he had a child. It is documencted on his INS
papers that he has a daughter.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LegalBeagle:
How did they go about getting the name changed ? When the child was born, what was signed and what was placed on the b/c ?

Was there ever an consent order of paternity signed ??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

F

fadake

are you familiar with the familirity act that the courts is ny go by. I was informed about them but i live in florida and he is ny
i am petitoning him for child support i have 2 children one before and one after marriage so he is not contesting the one after just the one before marriage. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fadake:

We went to vital records in NYC and filled
all the necessary papers to add his name to the birth certificate. there was papers signed and notarized but i can't recall the name or document # on them. His name is on the Birth certificate now ( it was amended about 2-3 months after her birth.) To go back when she was born the father name was
blank her biological father wanted no rights to her. So the man i was dating at that time requested that his name be put on. Now i realize he probably did it to show INS that he had a child. It is documencted on his INS
papers that he has a daughter.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LegalBeagle

Well, if he signed a consent order of paternity then that can not be undone. However the fact that you are being ordered to be tested makes me curious as everyone seems to agree that he is not the father.

Generally, if a man willingly accepts paternity and signs as the father then that can not be overturned after a certain period of time. If it was not for the order to be tested I would have a clear answer for you...

Unfortunately I do not know the familarity act. NYS has the worse website in the country and I am unable to search its statutes for that law..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">