• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father lives in VT/Mother lives in MA. How do I get child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HelpnMA

How do I go about getting child support for my 9 mth. old son? His father lives in VT and we live in MA? We are not married. Do I need to contact Vt family services as well as MA?

J

joswalt

First question - is he obligated to pay support now. If no, take him to court. That will be the first thing you need to do is establish support. If yes then contact your local Child Support Enforcement Agency in the state you are living in now. The only way to get your support is to go after him in the court that has jurisdiction on the case. You can do this through your local county court system. It will take alittle time but if he is already obligated to pay support he will just be digging himself a bigger hole by not paying (i.e. back child support).

H

helpplease

My fiance's ex lives in Ma now and we live in Pa. First off, when the child was born, did father sign an acknowlegement of paternity or does he freely admit he is the father? Second, if the child has lived in MA for 6 months they have jurisdiction over it. Then just go to Dept. of Revenue of your local court and they will help you. Not to be rude because I am sure you deserve it but fiance's ex is a leech and MA is a man hating state so you are sure to get what you ask for.

K

Kennedy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by helpplease:
My fiance's ex lives in Ma now and we live in Pa. First off, when the child was born, did father sign an acknowlegement of paternity or does he freely admit he is the father? Second, if the child has lived in MA for 6 months they have jurisdiction over it. Then just go to Dept. of Revenue of your local court and they will help you. Not to be rude because I am sure you deserve it but fiance's ex is a leech and MA is a man hating state so you are sure to get what you ask for. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Senator Ted Kennedy here. I, uh, don't think it advisable to, uh, speak that way, uh, about my, uh, State. Massachusettes prides itself in the, uh, even-handed, uh, respect for the, uh, law, and, uh, who has the, uh, most money. It's, uh, my football, so it's, uh, my rules.

The Big Kahuna

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">