• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father's Rights???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

simbasue

After 9 years of fighting in court and spending THOUSANDS of dollars on attorneys and child support, I am ready to give up. My son is almost 10 and I was never married to his mom. I am married to someone else and so is she. I have no legal rights to him except visitiation every-other Saturday night. She and her attorney keep asking me to give up my rights and walk away, and now I am considering only because she is so difficult, and I have been over paying her support for 5 years. Everytime I go to court to have it reduced, her and her attorney come up with some off the way things and it just get dragged on more and more. I just filed bankruptcy and we moved in my my inlaws bvecause we can not make ends meet paying her so much money. My question is, if I do give up my "rights" can I still have any contact with my son. Can I call or can he call me? Can I go see him at his sport events? This is the only thing that concerns me, because I don't want to lose all contact with him. PLEASE LET ME KNOW ANY THOUGHTS!!!!

B

Brandys

Hate to tell you this but giving up your rights means just that "giving up your rights" to see, call, visit, everything. You might be able to work something out if she wants her husband to adopt, but, if she wants you out of the kids life then it probably won't happen.

You said your child is 10 years old. This is really sad for your son/daughter. Does this child know you, do you have a relationship with this child. If you do will you break this childs heart by giving up your right to be it's father and it's right to be your child.

I to am asking my ex to give up his rights to our sons, 14 and 16. But he hasn't seen them in 13 1/2 years, won't call, write or send gifts at b-day or x-mas, he won't answer the phone if any one from our house calls, not even the kids and won't return phone call. He says he is punishing me for the cost of child support. My husband is their father and we thank the good lord daily for that, he's wonderful and the boys want nothing to do with the bio-sperm as they don't know him. They have said Mom he could knock on the door and we wouldn't know it was him cause we don't know what he looks like or sounds like.

If you have a relationship with your child don't throw that away by giving up your rights. You and your wife don't have that much more time to deal with your ex and your child will remember that you never walked away.

Have a talk with your child and see what he/she wants to do. Let he/she know how much love you have for him/her and want to remain in their life. But only after you find out what your child wants to do.

Good luck,

LegalBeagle

If there is someone to adopt, then yes you can sign away your rights and no you will not be able to see or contact the child. Also, from the description of the mother, I bet you anything that the moment you sign that paper, if you go anywhere near the child or try to make contact, she will have a restraining order out on you in a flash.

Just something to think about..

W

whyme0629

I have a question for you, are you wanting to give up rights because of the support amount or because you dont see him enough? Have you tried to do a Modification of Visitation rights to see your son more often?

My advice is dont give up your child because of the support or visitation rights, especially now that he is 10 yrs old. Maybe in a few years you can have your son speak with the judge and he can ask for more time with you. Either way, dont give up your rights at all. Its a shame she is using her child to hurt you. That is if you dont want to give up your rights as i feel that you dont. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">