• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father's Rights For Unborn Child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Scared Daddy

My "On-and-Off" girlfriend is 3-months pregnant. This unexpected situation occurred when we were in a very "off" position. As we are not together, she is unwilling to compromise regarding the custody of the baby. I will do anything in my power to make sure that this baby is raised properly, and I only know what I will do as a Father. She claims that she wants me to be a part of this child's life, yet she will not agree that we should have joint custody. I don't want to take this child's mother away from it and the mother is planning on moving to another city. I am afraid that she will use the baby as a pawn to try to take me to the cleaners. I have no problem with providing anything this baby needs and need to know what my rights are. She claims that in Arizona (where we live) that the mother of a child out-of-wedlock will automatically gain full-custody of a child. Is this true? If I took her to court to gain joint-custody, can I win? Thanks to anyone who can provide assistance.

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scared Daddy:
My "On-and-Off" girlfriend is 3-months pregnant. This unexpected situation occurred when we were in a very "off" position<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to say that I am not aware of that position. Need to research it as one to avoid.

LegalBeagle

Sure you could win joint custody.. who has physical custody is more important which you are highly unlikely to win.. the most important factory for you is to go to court for visitation. So, when the child is born and if she does not allow you to see the child, then file for custody (her having physical custody) and visitation.

[This message has been edited by LegalBeagle (edited September 19, 2000).]

S

Scared Daddy

I figured I should clarify before someone else happens to stumble on to this topic...
When I mentioned that my girlfriend and I were in a very "off" position, I meant that we were not together and that's when she told me she was about 1-month pregnant (neither of us was aware of the pregnancy while we were together).

What's the probability of getting joint-physical custody?

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scared Daddy:
I figured I should clarify before someone else happens to stumble on to this topic...
When I mentioned that my girlfriend and I were in a very "off" position, I meant that we were not together
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what you meant.. I was trying to be funny..

Anyway, you have a decent chance of getting joint custody if you are not a drugged up drunk hippy who has a history of neglect and abuse of children.

------------------
Psst.. I am not an attorney, and even if I was, I would not tell you. What I am giving you is not legal advice in anyway. For proper legal advice, retain a person who openly admits they are an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">