• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

friend getting divorced need help with x charging on credit cards

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sandygill

I am writing to you from the state of Florida. My friend is in the process of getting a divorce. The papers have been filed with the court and they are waiting for a court date. They used a simple form and did not use an attorney. The husband has gone to a place where they have a credit card and told them he didnt have the card with him but he wanted to purchase something. My friend has the cards and didn't know he could walk in somewhere and charge without the cards. He charged $2300 on new bedroom furnature. He now says he is not paying for it. The credit people said there wasn't anything they could do. Will she be able to get these bill taken care of in court eventhough they used the simple forms and don't have an attorney? please help he is drowning her in dept.

[This message has been edited by sandygill (edited July 26, 2000).]

A

Always searching

x

[This message has been edited by Always searching (edited October 15, 2000).]

U

usdeeper

I hope that your friend has now cancelled every joint item she had. As regards to the 2.3k you should be able to ask the judge that he pays for this fully and it not be split since it was purchased after the papers were filed. However, if he does not want to pay and ignores the court order then it is sometimes easier to pay it so as to stop a bad credit rating.

After that.. back to court to try and claim it..

P

paula2

Another thing you can do if you have a court order from the judge either for him to pay 1/2 or to pay the full amount and you don't want to pay his part, send a copy of the court order to the credit card company and if that doesn't work and they turn it over to the credit bureau, send a copy to the credit bureau. You can always add a statement to your credit report as to why the debt was not paid. Businesses and banks do look at this and take it into consideration, especially in divorce cases.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">