• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandma Co-Signed Now What?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ErickaLC

My husband of 10 years and I are getting a divorce. He is out of state, I have the Van and the 3 children. I have been making payemtns on the van in a timely manner. I just got a call from his grandmother (also the co-signer of the van loan) That she either wants the Van to give to him. Leaving me with 3 kids and no transportation, or she wants the Van taken out of her name and his, and i have to get it refinanced. I am currently living with my parents without a job! Am i legally obligated to give it to her?

A

Agent Orange

If you can prove that YOU ALONE have made the payments, then you may not have to. It would be a good idea for you to get it refinanced and ask that your parents co-sign for you.

As for not having a job, you need to get something, anything ASAP otherwise he can or possibly will make more problems for you if you don't have a job. If you are collecting welfare, and he decides he wants custody, he very well may get it. I've seen this happen in court not too long ago.

Good luck

E

ErickaLC

I am currently looking for a job. I am not collecting welfare, and have enough money to hold me over for about another month. My parents do not have good enough credit to co-sign for me. But I could possibly get another co-signer. I just made a payment on the van about 3 days ago. I didnt want to go to court over our divorce, but if he wont let me keep the car, what else will he try and get?!?!? I have been the sole-provider in this household for the past year. He has not had a job.

N

navywife_tx

If you are
collecting welfare, and he decides he wants custody, he very well may get it. ---- Okay Agent Orange, why do you assume she is on welfare and just how is it that he may get custody if she was? How can he get custody if he isn't working either? Care to explain?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">