• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Purple

I know this doesn't fit in family law but I don't know where else to put it. I live in Erie County in New York State and I'm in a duplex, 2 family dwelling. I'm getting harassed by my downstairs neighbors in the form of banging on walls, stomping on the floor... I believe their goal is to force me to move. Moving is not a good option for me as I do not drive, have no license, never learned.

I've talked to the landlord numerous times, of course they never do anything when he's around. I did manage to tape record the banging they do.. and I did it in hopes of confronting the head of the household below, with my landlord present, and ask her to get her 'children' (a 20 yr old & another a few years older) to stop. This tape was done from my floor (2nd floor) and there's no conversation on it, just their tv and their banging. I wasn't trying to tape conversation, just the noise.

My question is, is taping harassment legal? I realize it wouldn't stand up in court but I'm hoping it won't go that far. I just want the harassment to stop. What legal rights do I have and how can I fight this? I used to call the police on them for their loud music (loud enough to make my windows shake) and that's quieted down... now it's just the banging on the walls that they do all day.

Thank you

F

figittts

talk to your landlord about the tenents behavior if you dont get any satisfaction from him keep caling the law or talk to an attorney about filing harrasment charges <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Purple:
I know this doesn't fit in family law but I don't know where else to put it. I live in Erie County in New York State and I'm in a duplex, 2 family dwelling. I'm getting harassed by my downstairs neighbors in the form of banging on walls, stomping on the floor... I believe their goal is to force me to move. Moving is not a good option for me as I do not drive, have no license, never learned.

I've talked to the landlord numerous times, of course they never do anything when he's around. I did manage to tape record the banging they do.. and I did it in hopes of confronting the head of the household below, with my landlord present, and ask her to get her 'children' (a 20 yr old & another a few years older) to stop. This tape was done from my floor (2nd floor) and there's no conversation on it, just their tv and their banging. I wasn't trying to tape conversation, just the noise.

My question is, is taping harassment legal? I realize it wouldn't stand up in court but I'm hoping it won't go that far. I just want the harassment to stop. What legal rights do I have and how can I fight this? I used to call the police on them for their loud music (loud enough to make my windows shake) and that's quieted down... now it's just the banging on the walls that they do all day.

Thank you
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">