• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hearing for temporary custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

poeticheart

I have been called as a witness in an upcoming hearing to determine temporary child custody. What should I expect? Will the opposing "side" do a background check on me? or will they in any way try to slander me in order to discredit me?

------------------
Thank you in advance.

S

shannon prendergast

my boyfriend has gone through his temporary custody and the ex called in a couple of her friends to testify that he wasn't a good dad. the ex had just been released from a year in prison the month before and she tried to say while she was "away" that my boyfriend drank too much and worked too many hours. he is a superintendent for a construction company so he spent all his time with the kids in the winter and only got to see them a little in the summer. but const pays well and that is what he has done his whole life. if he had quit to work at the gas station up the road he could have seen them all day long, but how could he support 3 kids on one income like that? so when these women tried to get up there and say they took the kids every where and they saw him drink it was mentioned that these girls "party" too and they have families. what is ironic is both their husbands own construction firms. so they pretty much looked stupid up on the stand because everything they were saying was stuff they were guilty of also. so, the answer to your question is yes, they will try to discredit you and look into your past. believe me, if the other side has seen you do something wrong or knows dirt on you, it will get brought up. and you don't want to be like the women i mentioned and have your accusations thrown back at you while you are under oath. tell the truth. you are not on trial. but don't point fingers. good luck.

P

poeticheart

Thanks for your reply. I am really nervous about this hearing. I know it is going to be just awful and I really wish I didn't have to go... didn't have to be involved... (too late for that I guess). I know I will just tell the truth -- there is nothing else I can do; however, ugh! This is just such a nasty situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">