• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!!!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sisterof2

Thank you for the info. But, isn't there something else I could do instead of waiting on my mom because she wants to leave but thinks that nobody can protect her from him. I just don't know what to do. She is talking about committing suicide... Is there ANYTHING I could do to get my mom and brothers out of this situation. My teenage brother has left home because of the constant fighting. But, he's still trying to get my mom to leave. I truly feel that my mom and my baby brother are in danger. Is there anyone I could talk to "legally" about this situation?

L

ldelagra

You can try talking to the folks at your local domestic violence center. (If there is nothing listed in your local phone book, call the local police station and asked for the most local number). The DV staff may have some ideas for you. They can give you information about their programs to pass on to your mom. They may even have an attorney who does pro bono work for them who can help you if there are any legal steps you can take. (I have no ideas what they might be).

L

ldelagra

You can try talking to the folks at your local domestic violence center. (If there is nothing listed in your local phone book, call the local police station and asked for the most local number). The DV staff may have some ideas for you. They can give you information about their programs to pass on to your mom. They may even have an attorney who does pro bono work for them who can help you if there are any legal steps you can take. (I have no ideas what they might be).

U

usdeeper

I hate to point this out again.. but all you can do is reasearch what happens and who can help once she leaves.. she has to be the one that takes the first step to leave. Once she does, there are all manner of groups and agencies that can help. But few will commit to anything until she decides to leave.

It will be much more difficult to kick him out of the house at this point and even if you could, she is still in danger. Your mother has to pack a few items in a bag, grab the kids and leave.

P

paula2

Usdeeper has a good point. She has to be willing to help herself first before anyone else can. Maybe you can convince her to start removing a few things at a time, things he won't notice, unstead of doing it all at once, then when she has what she needs.....run to a shelter where they will protect her and your brother. Once she's in the shelter they can involve the police and there is nothing he can do to hurt her. If at that point she wants to file for divorce, they will have people there to show her what to do and in most states she would recieve 1/2 of everything, pension, retirment, equity in the house, and savings, not to mention child support and possibly alimony.

Good luck to your whole family and may God be with you guys. May God lift the fog from your mother eyes that she might see clearly what she needs to do to protect herself and her son, and may he lend her the strenght to do it.

U

usdeeper

The best bet her is for you to do all the leg work for her.. research the local help groups. Visit the courts and get details of a restaining order. Arrange for a place for her to move to when she leaves etc..

One of the things that stops some women from leaving is fear of being caught in the process... so, arrange a time when you know he will not be there.. have a friend take a mobile phone and follow him.. when he is safely away, arrive at her place and get her out !

Yes, there is a LOT you can do.. but that first step MUST be hers. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">