• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Seeking Legal Name Change & Birth Certificate Correction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Adopted@14

Born and living in California in the custody of my mother and stepdad for 6 years after my parent’s divorce, my mother convinced me at age 14 that I should be adopted by my stepdad and reject my father. In 1981, adoption papers were signed by my mother, father, stepfather and myself. I didn't realize the implications at the time, and I thought that I was doing what was best to please my mother by eliminating my father out of her life. Regardless, I feel that my decision was made under extreme duress given my father's restricted access to me (mom allowed no visitation while father wasn’t paying child support), my stepdad's general noninvolvement and his abuse towards me, and my mother's coercion. I have avoided this topic for 15 years since leaving home to keep the peace in the family, but I'm now seeking my own peace of mind.

I am now age 33 and I would like to legally change my name back to my birthname, and I also would like to have my birth certificate reflect who my natural father is, not my adoptive father.

I realize that I can have a legal name change performed and request that California State Vital Statistics amend my birth certificate with my changed name, but I would really like to set the record straight so that it reflects the truth about who I was born and who my parents are. Optimally, I would like to see my original birth certificate unsealed and put back on record.

I would like to know what options I have. I've learned that an adult adoption by my father would change my birth certificate and add my father's name back on it, but he lives in Nevada, and I don't think that's going to get me what I want. I would like to get all of my truthful information back on my California birth certificate and eliminate my adoptive information. I also understand that a legal name change would allow me to simply "amend" my birth certificate with "my new name", but it wouldn't remove my stepdad's name. So I don't think simply changing my name legally is going to get me what I want.

Does anyone have any opinions on how I can most effectively accomplish these two things that I'm seeking? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">