• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help with visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tammymoniz

My husband recently went to court for custody of his daughter, the judge gave them both one year to prove who the better parent is, in the meantime she is with her maternal grandparents. Since the court date they have made it impossible to get in touch with her. He has visitation, but they have blocked the calls and are not there when he goes to pick her up. We know they are taking her to see her mother because her mother told the judge that if she gets her, his daughter will live with the maternal grandparents, and that's what they want. We had a lawyer, but cannot afford to get another at the present. Is there anything we can do?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tammymoniz:
My husband recently went to court for custody of his daughter, the judge gave them both one year to prove who the better parent is, in the meantime she is with her maternal grandparents. Since the court date they have made it impossible to get in touch with her. He has visitation, but they have blocked the calls and are not there when he goes to pick her up. We know they are taking her to see her mother because her mother told the judge that if she gets her, his daughter will live with the maternal grandparents, and that's what they want. We had a lawyer, but cannot afford to get another at the present. Is there anything we can do?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Yes. Get a bank loan, max out your credit cards, or do whatever it takes to get an attorney.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

T

tammymoniz

This is my reply to I am always liable, we do not have any credit nor can we get any. Is there anything else we can do.

LegalBeagle

1. Document everything. Every failed phone call, every failed visitation. Record EVERYTHING. If you have direct conversations with them then record it.

2. Go to the local court and get papers to file a petition for an order to show cause. Ask if they can help you with filling it in. If not, hire a paralegal who will charge a great deal less than an attorney. Then file the papers and respresent yourself. What you are after is to tell the judge that they have purposely gone out of their way to deny you all access and that there should be no need to wait the full year. They are not looking out for the best interest of the child and in the event that they did get custody, they would deny you the right to have a relationship with the child.

If you were to be awarded custody then you will ensure that the child has a continuing relationship with the mother.

If you can show the judge proof or evidence of denied visitations then he may rule early and award you custody.. at the least, he will order them to allow visitation. In this event, present a visitation schedule with set dates and times over the year that you want visitation.

------------------
Psst.. I am not an attorney, and even if I was, I would not tell you. Which technically could mean I am an attorney, but I would not tell you either way. What I am giving you is not legal advice in anyway. For proper legal advice, retain a person who openly admits they are an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">